[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Carers Chill4us | Carers message board • View topic - Family carers need to be on the internet

Family carers need to be on the internet

This is a Public board.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Family carers need to be on the internet

Postby wendy » 19 Nov 2013, 22:20

Official Internet Access Stats Are Grim, But the Real Picture is Grimmer
The recent ONS stats revealing that 14% of British adults - a staggering 7 million people - have never used the internet made for grim reading.

Hard to imagine a life without Facebook, Skype or email, isn't it? Especially when even the tiniest of toddlers can intuitively master apps on their parents' smartphones and tablets. But for technophobic older people, mention URLs, browsers or cursors, and you might as well be speaking a foreign language.

But the sad reality is that digital isolation affects many more than 7 million adults. Two years ago, if you asked my mum (who is in her 70s) if she was online, she would have answered yes - because she had a computer and she'd used the internet. But I can assure you she wasn't because, at that time, she needed me to sit beside her just to make a Skype call.

Having access to the internet and being able to access the internet are two different things.

Many more than 7 million of us aren't getting all the benefits of being online - whether that's social contact, saving money or saving time - because not everyone knows how to use technology properly.

It's a big concern that millions are still either scared to use or not clued up on the benefits of internet and technology in a country where super fast broadband is so high on the government agenda.

The very people who could benefit most from internet access are the least connected. For the elderly, the internet could vastly improve their quality of life if they knew how to order online shopping, access health advice, save money on utility bills and combat loneliness by connecting with others.

My hunch is that if the stats reflected the gravity of the problem we face, then many more entrepreneurs would look at this as a big opportunity and jump in to build innovative solutions. And that'll make the real difference.

Right now, every time the ONS internet access update comes out, I face the challenge of explaining to well-meaning investors why the opportunity for Breezie - a tablet service designed to get older people who've never used the internet online - is not declining.

Actually, getting people online is a moving target because more and more services are getting online too. And the pace at which services are moving online (take Gov.uk as an example) seems to be much faster than the speed at which the digitally isolated Britain is coming online.

Simply put, a majority of the benefits individuals, businesses and governments can get by people being online cannot be realised until 100% of the population are internet users. If the government needs to keep their legacy channels open for even one traditional transaction, we all lose. If business cannot get to 100% paper free, we all lose.

In this regard, I desperately want these stats to become redundant. I'm waiting for a day when the ONS doesn't need to measure how many people are online and instead focus on how they are online.

The stats reveal a gender barrier as well as an age barrier to internet access, with men (88%) more likely to have used the internet than women (84%). Part of the problem is convincing people, and women in particular, that they need internet, as much as making 'alien' technology more familiar.

To sign off on a high note, there is a positive way to look at these stats. For every Briton who is not online, there are several people who can convince them to be online. Imagine sharing your Wi-Fi with an elderly neighbour, or taking your tablet to them and arranging a Skype video chat with their son in Australia, or their grandkids in Hong Kong.

One day, the ONS will announce they are discontinuing their quarterly internet access update and start issuing new stats, perhaps an internet usage update. Until then, we'll continue the fight to get older people using the internet every day.

Follow Jeh Kazimi on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/getbreezie
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jeh-kaz ... 96628.html
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Family carers need to be on the internet

Postby Jeanne » 20 Nov 2013, 09:15

I would be lost without the internet these days. x Jeanne
Jeanne

Postby maureenho » 20 Nov 2013, 10:15

maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby annie » 20 Nov 2013, 10:22

annie

Postby JaneJ » 20 Nov 2013, 11:03

JaneJ

Postby daisy » 20 Nov 2013, 12:05

As an older carer (73) I am really glad to have internet.  Years ago I went to the library for a short course entitled "Introduction to internet and email".  It was very basic but I used it as a starting point.  My computer skills are still very basic!

I think it is too easy to say things like "they don't want to learn" or "anyone can learn something new whatever their age" or "you can take a horse to the water but you cannot make it drink".

To be quite honest, I am a little upset that on a carer support website no-one so far seems to have recognised that carers get swallowed up in 24/7 caring role so that it is impossible to go to courses, etc.  I know that nowadays I would not be able to go to the library course! 

Another point I would like to make is - it seems to me that many of you on Chill have informal support with new technology, people who can help you if you have computer problems, or maybe it's simply that  you are all so much younger.

I don't have that kind of support - I would love to treat myself to a nice new mobile phone but do not have the confidence to make the change in case I get in a muddle and can't get it to work!
daisy

Postby maureenho » 20 Nov 2013, 12:43

maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Misspears » 20 Nov 2013, 15:52

Misspears

Postby wendy » 20 Nov 2013, 15:57

Last edited by wendy on 20 Nov 2013, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby annie » 20 Nov 2013, 16:19

Daisy, I am 66 and like Wendy, learnt most of my computer skills on chill. I have no access to tech support from family or friends. I have learnt so much from this forum, but have had to work at it & once I learnt a new thing, I had to practice it every day sot hat I would remember what to do, I also used to write instructions out in long hand so that I could go through things blow by  & they are also there for future reference
annie

Postby maureenho » 20 Nov 2013, 17:42

The very reason we campaign for computers4carers is to give carers the opportunity to connect to the outside world, and with that they need to learn how to use the facilities that are out there to get the benefit from it.

My late mum learned how to use a computer at 82 years old and she used it till she was 89, she did her own online shopping, banking, emails, play games and much more, there was an article about her using computer in Yours mag about 5-6 years ago, I will have to find it.

Misspears if you want to learn something else please feel free to ask when you feel ready and have a little time to spare.

A few months ago I did an online course on how to teach basic computer skills and would be happy to help.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby daisy » 20 Nov 2013, 18:04

daisy

Postby wendy » 20 Nov 2013, 18:13

wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Honey » 21 Nov 2013, 01:49

Honey

Postby wendy » 21 Nov 2013, 08:35

wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby daisy » 21 Nov 2013, 10:59

Wendy - unfortunately you are all misunderstanding my post which was a comment on the article at the beginning of this thread not a comment on Chill.  If you read my post, I am not criticising Chill - the point I was making as a comment on the article was that the only way people can benefit from internet is by getting started in the first place.  Many carers cannot leave their caree to go to library or anywhere else to get the help with starting up.  Of course Chill provides help but no-one can benefit from that help if they cannot get on line in the first place. 
daisy

Postby maureenho » 21 Nov 2013, 11:01

I would like to point out this board is PUBLIC and anyone can read it, the subject is not just for chill and it's members but for the general public to read as well. 

It's not just for CARERS it's for everyone else, it's just highlighting the need and importance of the Internet, the world is changing.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby daisy » 21 Nov 2013, 11:09

I agree Mo - Chill is available to all who can switch on and log into the internet. 
daisy

Postby wendy » 21 Nov 2013, 11:52

wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby blackdog2 » 21 Nov 2013, 12:22

lala@@ lala@@ m1ar xmas19 Sad to relate that I do not come on here as much as I should but I cannot for the life of me understand some of the negativity! I am 79, had no computer training but picked it up as I went, there are many good hints and tips on here, the BBC have a good website. It is definitely easier to have a go yourself if you remember that you cannot lose or foul anything up. I had never had a mobile phone but now I am on my own I have just bought one and at the moment I don't even know how to turn it on but I will learn, I run two websites, I publish at least 12 articles per month, I run 2 Carers Groups and work as a volunteer for Age UK with Dementia sufferers. I have listed this not to blow my trumpet but because there is no need for apathy or negativity, get up and get on with it, there are lots of people willing to help if you ask. I have just lost my wife after being her Carer for 29 years, 24 of which were 24/7, so if I could do it so can you! I have also organised a Carers Rights day event for the Norwich area on the 29th. November at Costessey Community Centre from 10-00 until 14-00 with over 30 stalls for advice and help. So come on all you doubters, to ask for help is common sense, it is not an admission of failure. If you want to do it you will!
blackdog2

Postby daisy » 21 Nov 2013, 13:21

daisy

Return to Carers Window to the outside world