[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Carers Chill4us | Carers message board • View topic - Maureen in the paper

Maureen in the paper

This is a Public board.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Maureen in the paper

Postby wendy » 11 Feb 2009, 11:39

During twelve solid years of providing seven-day a week care for her disabled daughter and elderly mother, Maureen Oakes has had just one week's break when she was able to snatch a quick holiday with her sister. STACIA BRIGGS spoke to Maureen about the intolerable strain of being a carer struggling to look after the people she loves.

Maureen Oakes never feels as if she's off duty.

During the day, she provides essential care for her daughter Louize, 32, who has primary progressive Multiple Sclerosis - the most common disabling neurological disease affecting young adults in the UK - and for her mother, 89-year-old Joan Dick, who is diabetic. Both live independently, but need considerable help to remain living on their own.

At night, Maureen sleeps next to a pile of clothes she can jump into in a hurry if she receives a call for help from her daughter in the early hours of the morning. Relaxation simply isn't an option - and nor is illness.

"At Christmas I had flu and I could barely stand up straight, but I knew I had to keep going, because if I don't care for my daughter and my mother, who will? There were some days I was almost crawling out of bed to go and help them," said Maureen, who lives in Hethersett with her husband, Derek.

"I felt so desperate, so alone and totally exhausted. I felt like I was exploding, like I wanted to scream and scream. But you have to keep going for them, for Louize and my Mum, because none of this is their fault and they shouldn't have to worry about me."

Diagnosed in 1997, Louize fell ill at her 21st birthday party with an infection, and within months was finding it impossible to walk without clinging on to walls and furniture.

"In the February she had her party, by the Christmas she needed a wheelchair to get about in," said Maureen, "it was quite a fast decline, and it changed everything. Louize had been working in an office, but she had to leave her job, and I had been planning to go back to college to take some qualifications, but that had to go out of the window, too because I needed to be there for my daughter."

During the same year, Maureen's husband Derek, 67, was diagnosed with emphysema, a respiratory condition, and was forced to leave his job as a taxi driver.

"It was just the worst year, ever. It felt like our world was falling apart," said Maureen. ?"Luckily for us, Derek's doctor was able to get him on the right medication very quickly and stabilise his condition, but he had to give up work and that was very hard for him. By the end of 1997, I had Derek downstairs not being able to breathe properly and my daughter upstairs not being able to move properly. I could hardly believe it had all happened in a year."

In addition to caring for Louize and helping her husband, Maureen also provides care for her mother, Joan, who lives independently, but needs some help with cooking and shopping.

"When I'd been a carer for Social Services, I could leave my work behind and come home. Suddenly, my work was at home. I was struggling to do everything that needed to be done and just felt total and utter despair," said Maureen.

"I say it every day: 'I can't do this anymore', but then I find the energy from somewhere, get up and keep going. After doing this for nearly 12 years, I've learnt to put a face on, to look as if I'm doing OK.

"In the first year, my weight dropped down to six-and-a-half stone because of the worry and all the lifting and carrying I was doing.”

Maureen's days are strictly structured around the needs of her daughter and mother. Her last break of any kind was in 2003, when she went away for a week with her sister, Glenda, who from cancer died four years ago.

"I generally get up at about 8am and by nine I leave to go to my daughter's flat to get her the tablets she needs to take and to see if she wants any breakfast,” she said.

“She doesn't actually get up until lunchtime - we've found that if she does get up before her lunchtime carer comes, accidents can happen and she can take a fall and be waiting for hours until she's found on the floor.

"Several days a week I go to my Mum's after leaving Louize, then I nip home for a quick sandwich and then go back to Louize's to get her dressed. Four afternoons a week she has a carer come in to relieve me, but before that I was backwards and forwards constantly, up to five times a day."

Louize's care package began last August, after Maureen made a desperate call for help to Social Services. Her daughter had suffered a bad bout of stomach flu and had been admitted to hospital for treatment.

"I was disgusted at the way she was treated - we arrived at 3pm and nothing passed any of our lips for six-and-a-half hours, despite the fact my daughter was dehydrated and ill. In the end, we just took her home," said Maureen.

"By that time, I was absolutely at the end of my tether. I'd been trying to look after her with only nine hours of help a week and I was at breaking point. Louize had been assessed as needing 21 hours of care, but it just wasn't happening.

"In total desperation, I called our social worker and told her that I couldn't take any more. To give her credit, she did her best to help us, but even the help I'm entitled to just isn't enough.

“To get the help I should have, I've basically had to beg. If I wasn't here, Social Services would be picking up the whole bill for looking after my daughter. Obviously, I don't want to stop caring for her, because I want to look after her, but it comes to the point where you feel you just can't carry on any longer.

“Everything takes such a long time to happen. When my daughter was really ill, I asked for extra help for a little while, but the decision had to go to a panel, and that takes time. By the time decisions get made, you've already had to struggle through.”

With her days filled by looking after family members, Maureen has precious little time to herself. She finds she can only watch the news on television (“I just can't relate to dramas about real life anymore, they're so far away from my life”) and there's no time or money -she receives a derisory £55.55 carer's allowance from the Government each week - to go out.

"Before all this happened, I was someone that really enjoyed a good laugh. I loved going out, hopping in the car and going to the coast, having a meal or for a drink; all the normal things that normal people do,” said Maureen.

"Now, I feel very isolated and alone. Friends tend to fall away when they realise that the people you're caring for aren't getting better, and they worry that you're going to start leaning on them and asking for help.

"I've been let down in the past, and I won't ask friends for help now, I just get on with things and do them myself. It's made it very hard for me to trust people and to open up.”

A love of photography - Maureen has had one of her pictures published in the Evening News - and the Norwich-based chill4us website are lifelines.

Run by local carer Wendy Maxwell, the chill4us.com website offers 'a window to the outside world' for carers, offering opportunities to chat to other people in the same situation and to swap hints and advice to help in daily life.

"If it wasn't for the internet and the people I've met on chill4us, I think I'd go mad!" said Maureen, "I can talk to people who really do understand what I'm going through and who won't be angry with me if I'm a bit snappy, because they know what it's like too.

"Sometimes it helps just to know that someone understands you and that you're not totally alone out there.”

Maureen can't imagine a time when her days won't be filled with caring for others, and worries what will happen if, one day, she really can't go on.

“I can't really remember how it felt to have a normal life, or how it feels not to be tired all the time. And I think that's probably a good thing. Because if I could remember, it'd be even harder to go on.

“If I had more help, everything would be easier. I know it worries Louize and she feels guilty, but none of this is her fault, and I love her and want the best for her and for my mother.

“I just wish people realised how hard it is. And then perhaps they'd be more willing to help.”

James Bullion, Assistant Director Community Care, Norfolk Adult Social Services, said: "Norfolk's carers are the county's unsung heroes and the role they play in supporting and caring for friends and loved ones is invaluable. But often there is help and support available which they are not aware of, and we would urge people to call the Norfolk Carers Helpline on 0808 808 9876 to find out exactly what's out there for them.”

To meet other carers, visit Norwich-based Wendy Maxwell's chill4us.com website.

Maureen's Diary:

Sunday December 21: Carer is unable to come today, so I have no rest time.

Monday December 22: Have to do the shopping and all the things I couldn't do yesterday, am starting to get a sore throat.

Tuesday December 23: Not feeling too good, throat is very sore.

Wednesday December 24: Woke up today feeling ill. Head is spinning and I am weak. Have cooking and caring to do, bought some cold and flu tablets to help get me through, am like a zombie.

Christmas Day: Still feeling ill, nose and eyes running, no help today. ?Boxing Day: My head feels terrible, my eyes are stinging and I keep going hot and cold, but I still have to turn out in the freezing cold morning and night to de-ice the car before I go and get Louize sorted.

Saturday December 27: My head and eyes feel swollen today and my sinuses are blocked. I have no help whatsoever today.

Sunday December 28: I feel a little better today, still a way to go yet. I am so tired.

Monday December 29: Hit with a bombshell today. The carer that has been doing four afternoons a week for Louize suddenly says she can no longer do it. No warning or hint of it, so we got no afternoon help today. We phoned the agency the carer comes from and they had only just got the news themselves and weren't sure what to say to us. They phoned back within the hour, were very apologetic and said they have a carer who might be suitable to replace her. Now I have to go though showing her everything she will need to know and that's all I need at the moment as I'm still feeling tired struggling with the extra work load of Christmas while suffering from a bug.

Tuesday December 30: This isn't a life, it's an existence. When a paid carer is off work for whatever reason, some agencies have no replacement carer, the help time I have lost is never made up and it doesn't seem to matter if I'm ill, I still have to fill these huge gaps as well as the high input I put in seven days and nights a week, 52 weeks a year, for years on end. There is no one to call over weekends or holiday times, and if anything goes wrong I have to bear it and neglect myself just because there isn't enough help to go round. I feel I am taken for granted by the system. If I broke the law and went to prison, I would suddenly have human rights, but because I'm a carer, my human rights aren't considered important.

Louize Oakes wrote this poem for Maureen around three months ago:

CARER

Could someone please care for my mother

As I don't have a sister or brother

Respond to what's said

Else you'll make her go red

Respect those with hearts, not the others.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/ ... 3A08%3A357
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Maureen in the paper

Postby graham » 11 Feb 2009, 12:21

The carers allowance is even more 'derisory' than it say in the article...It's £50.55 NOT £55.55....As all of us get it knows it is a 'pittance'....
graham

Postby wendy » 11 Feb 2009, 12:23

That's if you can get it.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 11 Feb 2009, 13:14

Maureen that is a brilliant article and you must have been exhausted on top of your every day caring.
Thank you for doing this for carers everywhere.  33900
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby maureenho » 11 Feb 2009, 13:15

I expect the £55 is a typo as Stacia know what the allowance is.

She should have interviewed me today, I was called out at 6.45am this morning the car was frozen up and the road was like a skating rink, not the best start to the day.

Mo
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby sandy4 » 11 Feb 2009, 13:32

Well done Mo!  33900 ro%%% va++++

Then in P T R C you get Rob Kay moaning about having to take his kid to school  once; he don’t know how lucky he is. 
sandy4

Postby Bernie » 11 Feb 2009, 13:42

Maureen I really don't know how you keep going. I know you just have to but you certainly are an incredible lady. Berniexxx 33900
Bernie

Postby Honey » 11 Feb 2009, 14:45

I agree,  Mo you are indeed an incredible lady.
Its a brilliant article, well done and thank you for doing it.
love honey
Honey

Postby maureenho » 11 Feb 2009, 14:47

In the news paper it's a 2 page spread and they put in the photo I took of a cobweb I had published in the paper.

Mo
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » 11 Feb 2009, 14:49

As long as they didn't put that horrid picture of me in again, I was scared lol

Well done.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby annie » 11 Feb 2009, 15:13

Well donr Mo, you are a star 33900 ro%%% gre55555 xmas5 xmas5 xmas4 xmas
annie

Postby wendy » 11 Feb 2009, 16:16

wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby joyce » 11 Feb 2009, 16:26

Well done Mo,  I knew you would give a good interview, truthfull and to the point.
We have pm each other often I hope one day we shall be able to meet in the flesh.
I wish I could present these to you personally .Love Joyceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joyce

Postby christal » 11 Feb 2009, 16:32

33900 well done Mo.
its about time someone told them how it is from are side.
Christal xxx
christal

Postby patricia81 » 11 Feb 2009, 17:09

I got very excited when I read this and realised it was you Mo! Congratulations, I thought you came across brilliantly. Love,Patricia xx
P.S. Don't normally get paper every day, very glad I did today.
patricia81

Postby Jsmum » 11 Feb 2009, 17:15

Awwwww.... big hugs Mo!  Its a brilliant article.  You have very accurately conveyed the pressure of caring.

I so know what you are feeling babes - its sad that we carers are so taken advantage of.  I am currently caring for 5 people including J so I know how difficult it is juggling things.  I would give my eye-teeth for a decent nights sleep let alone a holiday!  

I think the worst thing about multiple caring is that you know that if something happens to you - your carees will have a far worse time because noone will step in to help.  That's why you end up caring in the first place.  £50 is just a stupid amount of money - for me it is made worse by the fact that my income support has now been seriously prorated due to my son "leaving" college, so Im now running the household and the car on just £58  a week!

I think it really helps to know that Chills4us is out there.  I would go spare without you guys!  

(((hugs)))

:)

Nessie x
Jsmum

Postby graham » 11 Feb 2009, 17:26

I was delighted to read this. Clearly a Norwich evening paper reaches a substantial readership...A real step in the right direction......Good for you MO......
graham

Postby chenrezig » 11 Feb 2009, 17:44

Mo, you made my day today when I got this evening's paper, a brilliant article telling it the way it is.

tha22222 tha22222 tha22222 

Big  hu~~~ Liz
chenrezig

Postby douglas » 11 Feb 2009, 18:12

well done mo you said it like it is for a lot
of us carers out there we can all relate
to most of it 33900 ro%%%
douglas

Postby HotSheila » 11 Feb 2009, 23:01

33900  Well done Mo - that really is life as a carer - I used to wake up each morning thinking "I can't go on doing this" - and my caring role was not anywhere as bad as yours - mine wasn't helped by my own failing health - now I am alone its "who's going to care for me"  - its frightening.  Thank you for making it known what life as a "carer" is really like - Sheila x tha22222
HotSheila

Postby maureenho » 11 Feb 2009, 23:16

I am so glad I did it now, I did not realise it was going to be over 2 pages in the paper.

My Daughter could only read some of it for now as it brought the past 12 years back and its aproaching the time of year it started, it's her Birthday on 18th.

Your support help keep me a bit sane
tha22222

Mo x
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » 12 Feb 2009, 09:45

I must email Stacia Briggs to thank her, for such an excellent article.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 12 Feb 2009, 09:56

I emailed Stacia and she rang me back.
I passed on all your messages to her.
She is going to contact the newspaper press office and she thinks she will get my train fare paid for London.

I will know later today.

Please say a prayer.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cornflake » 12 Feb 2009, 10:08

Well done Mo. a very honest article that people can relate to. Thankyou so much for highlighting the daily probs that carers go through.
Love Jenny xxx
cornflake

Postby maureenho » 12 Feb 2009, 13:11

Thats good news Wendy if they can pay the fare for you.

Mo
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Carers Window to the outside world