Heritage Weekend - visit to Wherry Hathor

Please introduce yourself and make yourself at home.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Heritage Weekend - visit to Wherry Hathor

Postby chenrezig » 12 Sep 2015, 16:47

In spite of the rain this morning I made it! I have been wating to look around this wherry yacht for ages, since I found out that it is decorated all over with hieroglyph-style designs ....

From the wherry's website ...

Pleasure Wherry Hathor: history

The Pleasure Wherry Hathor (pronounced Heart-or) was built by Daniel Hall of Reedham for Ethel and Helen Colman, daughters of Jeremiah J Colman of mustard fame. Her Egyptian theme and name serve as a memorial to their brother, Alan, who died in 1897 on a trip to Egypt that, it had been hoped, would cure his tuberculosis. You can read more, and see photos from the Boardman archive, here. From the Colmans, Hathor passed to Claud Hamilton, author of Hamilton's Guides to the Broads, and then to the Martham Boatbuilding and Development Company where she was used as a houseboat. It was from here that she was acquired, in a somewhat dilapidated state, by Wherry Yacht Charter in 1985, after which she underwent a 2-year restoration so that she could be offered for charter once again.

Along with her sister vessels Hathor was transferred to Wherry Yacht Charter Charitable Trust in 2004. Work on the wherry yachts was more urgent, and Hathor sailed until her Farewell Tour in 2009, before being laid up to await restoration. She was finally hauled out in 2013. Her hull was fully restored and she was afloat again by summer 2014, but everything above the water, and especially her exquisite interior, needed attention before she could take passengers again. Her relaunch celebrations took place at How Hill in May 2015, with five wherries together on the Ant for the first time in decades - a fitting tribute to a unique vessel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chenrezig

Re: Heritage Weekend - visit to Wherry Hathor

Postby chenrezig » 12 Sep 2015, 16:48

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chenrezig

Postby chenrezig » 12 Sep 2015, 16:50

chenrezig

Postby annie » 12 Sep 2015, 17:55

tha22222
I love the marquetry
annie

Postby wendy » 12 Sep 2015, 18:17

I loved seeing these and they reminded me of our little boat, but we did not have a piano.
It must have been great to see them.
thank you so much.
xxx
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby chenrezig » 12 Sep 2015, 18:30

You are very welcome, the worst bit was stepping over the gap between the bank and the wherry, it was only a few inches but I hate walking over water if you can see it under your feet - I will have to try and keep and eye out on Monday as it will be sailing up the river ....
chenrezig

Postby maureenho » 13 Sep 2015, 10:05

Lovely photos Liz, I like the inlaid frogs
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Anything About You and your Pictures