Wheelchair Manouvres

Please introduce yourself and make yourself at home.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Wheelchair Manouvres

Postby Grommit » 10 Jul 2015, 16:57

I first acquired a wheelchair for Jean about 2 years ago. Just a bog standard wheelchair, collapsible, folding, large removable back wheels. Just the job for days out, local walks, town centre and supermarket shopping.

The need for accessories soon became apparent. Cushion to sit on and coverall for wet weather. Cushion was no problem but the coverall gave all sorts of difficulties to start with. Firstly I had to work out which way up the thing fitted. How was I supposed to know that the elasticated part that closely resembles a hood actually was the cover for her feet? How do I get her legs into the apertures I now know are armholes? Eventually I got it right.

The next accessory was a headrest because, as time went by, Jean fell asleep in the chair and her head went backwards as she relaxed. Fitting that required the use of tools and the instructions which, as I was doing the job outside, got blown away in a sudden squall of North East wind and are now, presumably, somewhere in the Newcastle area.

It is now fastened in place and I am sure the sellotape will hold it tight enough and the only problem I have is to remember to shift my fingers out of the way when folding the chair, this mainly because I have run out of sticking plasters.

As time went by, we ventured further afield and I used to get back from these longer walks absolutely aching with pushing. So I invested in a battery operated motor which hangs on the back of the chair and drives two small wheels. I had that professionally fitted but it has taken me the best part of 12 months to learn how to use it properly.

Just recently, Jean has started sliding down in the chair so that the lap belt that holds her in place gradually works it way up her torso and, if not adjusted, would finish up under her chin. What I needed was a harness that fitted over her shoulders, round her waist, with a strap that went under the seat and between her legs. A bit like WW2 Spitfire pilots harness only without the parachute.

We have 3 or 4 Disability Aids Shops in Doncaster and several larger ones in Sheffield. None of them could supply anything but the last shop we visited gave us the name and address of a supplier. When it came, it took two people to get the straps to fit while Jean was sat in the chair wondering what all the fuss was about.

It now fits ok but Jean has started sitting in the wheelchair and crossing her legs. Unfortunately this meant that she shuffles forwards to cross her legs and starts moving along the seat of the wheelchair.

I discussed this with other wheelchair users and came to the conclusion that either a shaped cushion or a leg strap might work. So I have now got a leg strap to try out before I invest in a shaped cushion.

So, from a standard wheelchair, bought at sale price, we are now the proud owners of an all singing all dancing piece of machinery whose accessories cost more than the original chair and I have to put aside 10 minutes each time we go out to fasten all the webbing and straps into place. When they are in place, the only discernible bits of Jean are her shoes and her face. The rest of her is covered in straps.
Grommit

Re: Wheelchair Manouvres

Postby chenrezig » 10 Jul 2015, 17:26

Oh Grommit, my how that brings back memories of mounting an Everest-type logistical operation just to take Dad into the city..

The sliding down was the worst bit until I found a wheelchair "cosy" that Dad sat in, a bit like a sleeping bag only with the zip at the front. The elastic loops that went over the pushing handles was pretty much useless, but it had the advantage as Dad hated being strapped in (well, who wouldn't unless you were into BDSM!) to haul on it like you were pulling in a fishing net and sit him back up straight.

The bit that knackered me most was the kneeling down and getting his feet inside, as best he tried to help he just couldn't do it. The little powerpack that we had on free loan was a lifesaver for me, except when I first had it and the battery ran out in the city.... Dad+wheelchair+powerpack+bagfuls of shopping on the back ... lucky I didn't end up looking like Arnie Swarz-whatsist ! Then there was the time we were taking our regular cut through in Primark to avoid the cobbles because of Dad's bad back .. the little lever got stuck and Dad was stopped by a luckily immovable clothes stand otherwise we might have taken out half the shop !

Then there were the times Bruv and Sis-In-Law would come round and we would pile in their car - they did all the pushing etc.. almost as good as a weekend break for me.. I used to lie on the kitchen floor many a time with an Allen key trying to get the little bugger of a powerpack off so we could fold the chair and pop it in the boot of the car. Only several months later would I discover that twiddling one little knob would release the collapsible rail that supported the powerpack .. a "miracle" ...

The best accessory I think we bought was a puffy doggy bed ! Daft as it sounds it part solved the problem of Dad sliding sidways as I put it beind and round his back, it had a three-fold advantage - stop him sliding, keep his back warm, and extra protection for his bad back .. and it only cost (at the time) £3.99

Many thanks Derek ...

Love n hugs to you and Jean
xx Liz
chenrezig

Postby annie » 10 Jul 2015, 17:58

I laugh and cry with you Derek, thanks for brightening my day
xx
annie

Postby Grommit » 10 Jul 2015, 21:55

Thanks Liz and Annie.

I think there was another thing I needed to mention and that was Cafes and Restaurants. When pushing wheelchairs you have to look under the table to find out where the table legs are and then work out the best way of getting the chair near enough to the table edge so that food can be reached easily. Many are the odd looks I get from other diners when I have to lift tablecloths to find where the legs are and then move 2 chairs out of the way to get the wheelchair in place.

Tiled or shiny floors in cafes are a menace because if I hit the table leg with Jeans chair the table slides across the floor and bashes into other tables like a very large version of Shove Ha'penny or Bumper Boats on seaside promenades or it twirls round like the Waltzer at Fairgrounds.

And finally why do shoppers in large department store cafes always leave their purchases in bags blocking the aisles so that any wheelchair can run over them and turn what used to be a Bogoff buy of Rich Tea biscuits into a pile of crumbs?
Grommit

Postby chenrezig » 11 Jul 2015, 07:46

Crikey, I could write loads on cafes, especially the checking under the table bit, in case they are on a column - danger of two bruised knees if I forget.. then is the height right, is it too low, and will I "kneecap" him?

When Jarrolds refitted their top floor restuarant I sent two letters asking if they could put a few wheelchair freindly tables in .. no reply to either and all they did in the end was put new tops on the old bottoms. Mind, my friend who uses a scooter complained about trouble getting though the tables and pointed out a little spot where they could put a buggy park to make it easier.. they did! Mind, she did know one of the directors, and the HR, and they started putting toy displays next to it - excellent marketing ploy there, I reckon she should have got a cut from the profits lol

Not sure how this would go down with Jean Grommit, Dad very quickly decided he was going to wear his steelcapped safety boots from work as his feet kept getting hit by people diving out of shop doorways - they were also very useful for not-deaf people who stood blocking the path and wouldn't move out of the way as much as you called, then loudly called, then "shouted" to move out of the way - a little ( and I do mean a little) nudge from Dad's boots and they soon shifted!

Love to you both

Liz xx
chenrezig

Postby Rosalind » 11 Jul 2015, 14:02

Thank for your tale Derek, it did make me laugh and cheered me up no end. I do not have that problem with my mum, as she will not use a wheelchair, says she is not that bad. So spends most of her time indoors. xx
Rosalind

Return to Anything About You and your Pictures