[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Carers Chill4us | Carers message board • View topic - Feeding the swans

Feeding the swans

Please introduce yourself and make yourself at home.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Re: Feeding the swans

Postby annie » 25 Jan 2015, 17:46

I have been really enjoying my walks down the canal, even on the snowy days. My lovely pair of swans are still hanging around & are always happy to see me. The cob gets excited like a puppy & he wags his tail as he waits for me to open the food.

Yesterday I spotted them as I begun my walk & they were heading towards Gannow tunnel, so I fed them , as I suspected they may have disappeared down the other side, by the time I came back to the spot , following my walk. They eagerly hoovered it all up & cheeky cob kept popping his head over the bank, trying to get hold of my walking stick.
When I got back, surprisingly, they hadn't moved along , except to climb up on to the bank. He spotted me & came waddling towards me, nearer and nearer, that guy has no fear!!! She just stood |& observed, as he drew along side me he kept extending his neck to peck at me, probably expecting more food, he is a real chancer!!!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/qVU4R4]Image[/url

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qDtiaG]Image[/url
Get off, I saw it first!!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/qDC9wR]Image[/url
Well come on then, what are you waiting for?
Last edited by annie on 25 Jan 2015, 18:44, edited 2 times in total.
annie

Postby annie » 25 Jan 2015, 17:51

I'm coming to get you!!!!
sp0
annie

Postby wendy » 25 Jan 2015, 18:11

they are brilliant photos, I see Ross's tip did not work, sadly.
so glad you shared the photos though
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rosalind » 25 Jan 2015, 18:25

Great photos Annie tha22222.
Rosalind

Postby maureenho » 25 Jan 2015, 18:29

Lovely photos of the Swans Annie, they have made a friend of you.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Misspears » 25 Jan 2015, 18:46

than999 the photos are lovely
Misspears

Postby annie » 14 Feb 2015, 15:54

Found some interlopers on the canal today, a mum and her 2 cygnets. Hope Grumps doesn't spot them or he will chase them off, they are further up the west of canal & Grumps and Gladys don't usually venture so far - so fingers crossed.

Here's Grumps
annie

Postby Rosalind » 14 Feb 2015, 16:10

Great photos Annie.
Rosalind

Postby wendy » 14 Feb 2015, 16:27

Such beauty than999
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby maureenho » 14 Feb 2015, 18:48

Such lovely photos Annie.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JaneJ » 15 Feb 2015, 17:13

Thank you for the pictures of your lovely swans.

they are magnificent

xxx
JaneJ

Postby annie » 21 Mar 2015, 18:46

Spring has arrived at last, the Canada geese are all pairing off on the canal.

Suzi and Sam, the Finsley Gate swans are back from their winter sojourn and have begun to build their nest I noticed today, accompanied , strangely, by another pair of Canada geese. Grumps wouldn't tolerate that , he hates the geese & chases them off

Gladys, the pen from our pair has picked her spot today, but hasn't begun to build the nest yet

Grumps not showing any signs of helping her collect materials & build yet, more interested in eating & seeing off intruders. I saw him have a go at a couple with 3 dogs today.
annie

Postby maureenho » 21 Mar 2015, 18:56

Great photos Annie, it is interesting reading about the progress of the Swans, I like how you have called one grumpy.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » 22 Mar 2015, 08:50

I like the names you have given them
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaneJ » 22 Mar 2015, 20:52

Beautiful photos Annie.

I am missing the canal and all the new arrivals being sat on and preparing to hatch.

A magical time of year
JaneJ

Postby annie » 23 Mar 2015, 20:20

I didn't get down yesterday & was pleasantly surprised to find Gladys and Grumps had made their nest & Gladys was sitting in it. Grumps came over to be fed & then a cyclist stopped for a chat with me, & he took umbridge & flew out of the water at us with a wing span of 5ft or so, we quickly scuttled behind the bike & then he chased her down the bank little beggar, I beat a hasty retreat before I got the same treatment!!!!
annie

Postby wendy » 23 Mar 2015, 22:14

what a to do. I would have loved to have seen you both.
Annie it does look a bit lonely, I hope you have a stick with you or your phone.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby annie » 24 Mar 2015, 17:44

I never venture down there without my stick and phone Wendy.

It was a false alarm - went down today & Gladys was out of the nest, - no eggs yet - & on the water. After I'd fed them today, a chap in a canoe came sailing out of the tunnel, Grumps spotted him & made a beeline for him & chased him for 100 metres & he had to paddle like made to keep ahead of him, he is a naughty boy. It was so funny to watch though - makes a change from chasing me!!!!! Do you remember last year when he chased a narrowboat & pecked at it for 1/2 mile, now that was CHEEKY!!
annie

Postby annie » 04 May 2015, 12:20

Gladys on her nest - still waiting!!

Suzie & Sam, can you see the Canada Goose in the left hand corner, she has set up her nest only a metre away ffom Suzie's
annie

Postby annie » 04 May 2015, 12:23

Grumps waiting to be fed

Grumps seeing us off after taking a bite of Debs!
annie

Postby maureenho » 04 May 2015, 15:42

I love the close up of grumps Annie, Swans are such beautiful creatures.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » 04 May 2015, 15:44

great to be able to see the pictures.
thank you Ann
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rosalind » 04 May 2015, 16:12

Great photos Annie, tha22222 for posting them.
Rosalind

Postby annie » 04 May 2015, 17:10

These 4 youngsters arrived today , between both nests, good job Grumps didn't spot them!!! They are around 2 years old, one of them was ringed - have sent the number to Ryan at Swan-Watch, then they will find out where he came from
annie

Postby annie » 05 May 2015, 13:37

I am happy to report that Gladys has 7 eggs (although one only small), she was out of the nest having a wash and brush up, so the lady in the garden opposite had a good view of the nest & was able to count them for me.
annie

PreviousNext

Return to Anything About You and your Pictures