[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Carers Chill4us | Carers message board • View topic - Feeding the swans

Feeding the swans

Please introduce yourself and make yourself at home.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Re: Feeding the swans

Postby maureenho » 14 Sep 2015, 17:15

What a relief those one's are ok, but it is very sad to hear some had been shot, how cruel some people are.
The RSPCA are useless.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JaneJ » 21 Sep 2015, 06:47

So sad about the cygnets. I can't believe someone soul shoot such beautiful innocent creatures. So glad grumps and gladys see ok but so awful they lost their family.
Thank you for the amazing pictures and news. I love reading about your walks to see them xxxxx
JaneJ

Postby annie » 21 Sep 2015, 07:37

Grumps was very subdued the first few days when they came back, & they both just sat on the towpath & meekly ate the food I took. However, last time I went down, he had a go at me, I was so relieved - back to normal & living up to his name!! Wonderful!!!!
annie

Postby JaneJ » 21 Sep 2015, 07:38

I often wonder how animals deal with loss of their young. So glad he is as grumpy as usual!! Xx
JaneJ

Postby annie » 01 Nov 2015, 16:14

Had a lovely walk down the canal this afternoon, it was warm & sunny when I set off, but began to mist up as I was coming back. I fed Grumps and Gladys & at Rosegrove services, I saw this "Houseboat" It was like a huge punt set on top of a load of plastic barrels, with a wooden shack built on top of it!

Grumps and Gladys

annie

Postby wendy » 01 Nov 2015, 16:23

Do you think someone lives in it?

I always like to see Grumps and his wife.
It is getting misty here
xx
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby maureenho » 01 Nov 2015, 17:52

The Swans are beautiful Annie, I wonder if someone lives on the boat, I can see a bike on the top.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby annie » 01 Nov 2015, 18:12

Definitely someone lives on it, it arrived on Saturday, & on the way back today, there was smoke coming out of the chimney
annie

Postby Rosalind » 01 Nov 2015, 18:25

Lovely photos Annie tha22222 . The houseboat looks like it would fall apart if it was hit by a gust of wind.
Rosalind

Postby annie » 01 Nov 2015, 20:00

When I first saw it, Beverly Hillbillies came to mind
annie

Postby JaneJ » 05 Nov 2015, 09:24

That would be fun to do up. Why a unusual looking boat

glad that grumps and Gladys are still around. I love hearing about them
JaneJ

Postby annie » 02 Dec 2015, 22:37

I am upset tonight. I hadn't seen the pen Gladys since Monday or Tuesday last week. Grumps has been on his own. Yesterday I walked both East and west towpaths to see if I could spot her, but to no avail, so put a message on the Burnley fb page to see if anyone had seen her. Sadly, I got a reply saying a dead swan had been seen the canal by the Wharf last week. It must be her, as there are no other swans on this patch.
annie

Postby Rosalind » 02 Dec 2015, 23:31

That is sad news Annie, if it is her.
Rosalind

Postby annie » 03 Dec 2015, 09:41

I am horrified this am, got a report this am on Gladys, it looked like she was stoned to death. I can't stop crying
annie

Postby wendy » 03 Dec 2015, 11:25

Some very sick people.
No wonder why grumps was so protective of her.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby maureenho » 03 Dec 2015, 12:00

That has upset me hearing that, why are people so cruel to such beautiful creatures.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JaneJ » 03 Dec 2015, 14:23

I am so sorry to hear about Gladys. How cruel and disgusting . Thinking of you Annie. X
JaneJ

Postby annie » 03 Dec 2015, 16:54

I walked down there with a heavy heart this am & Grumps has disappeared, I wonder if he has flown off to find a new partner, as there are no more single swans within this area of the canal.
I walked down the other towpath to check & happened upon a new swan family,a pair with a cygnet around 7 months old. Never seen these before & they are not ringed, I do hope they settle here
annie

Postby wendy » 03 Dec 2015, 16:54

Dear Ann,
I am concerned about you and fear that you may not want to continue visiting your special swans.
I wanted you to know how much your posts have meant to me personally, and I know the members love hearing about the swans, but not of course this very sad news.
Thank you so much for sharing a bit of nature with us, when sometimes it is impossible to get out of the house.
Sadly life is sometimes cruel, but the good bits of hearing about Gladys far outweigh this dreadful news.
xx f4o33
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby annie » 03 Dec 2015, 18:43

Thankyou so much for that encouragement Wendy, I needed to hear that today. I shall continue to go down there, because I love walking the canal anyway, but seeing the Grumps and Gladys every day made it extra special. I hope this new family sticks around.
annie

Postby maureenho » 03 Dec 2015, 22:22

Will be nice to hear about the new family Annie if they settle in, I enjoy reading about them and seeing the photos, it's like being there.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby annie » 03 Feb 2016, 15:48

On the way to hospital yesterday, the taxi pulled up sharply on the bridge over the canal & there in the middle of the road was a swan, waddling along. It looked like Gladys, but I couldn't be sure without getting out. She has been missing for weeks and weeks & I have checked regularly for 3 miles at each side of the tunnel to no avail. Anyway, 2 chaps managed to
chivy her on to the pavement out of harms way. She must have mistook the water glistening on the road for the canal .

This morning, I had a walk down that side of the canal & to my delight, there she was, as large as life, just sailing along & of course as soon as she spotted me, she came rushing over . Then round the bend came another swan & joined her, so looks like she has a new mate, so hopefully she will be nest -building soon. Watch this space!!

It made my day!

By the way, the new family that moved in, have disappeared, so must have just been visiting
annie

Postby wendy » 03 Feb 2016, 16:40

I keep thinking of what the taxi driver must have thought if you suddenly said about the swan

Oh there is Gladys............................

your post made my day by the way, than999
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby maureenho » 03 Feb 2016, 16:53

That is lovely to read Annie, I do enjoy reading the updates, thank you.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JaneJ » 06 Feb 2016, 21:15

So pleased for Gladys. I love hearing about her. X
JaneJ

Previous

Return to Anything About You and your Pictures