[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Carers Chill4us | Carers message board • View topic - Feeding the swans

Feeding the swans

Please introduce yourself and make yourself at home.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Re: Feeding the swans

Postby wendy » 05 May 2015, 14:43

What a good brood.
I hope they will all survive, but can you find names for all seven Ann? do877
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby annie » 10 May 2015, 15:13

Neither of our nesting pens has produced yet, 32 days now so any time in the next 10 days hopefully. However, our Canada geese have produced 7 gosling, but they were in the nest so couldn't get close enough to get a pic.
Sadly our ducklings seem to be disappearing, our pair only have one left now out of 4 and down by the wharf, there is a lone duckling about 2wks old on its own, but the folks from the Toll House Heritage Centre are keeping an eye on it & feeding it.
annie

Postby wendy » 10 May 2015, 15:28

i hope no one is eating them.
I took a look at all the photos you have put on Ann about these swans, thank you
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby maureenho » 10 May 2015, 17:33

Do you think fox's get the ducklings.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby annie » 10 May 2015, 18:16

Chap at the Toll House says there are a lot of carrion crows about & they are probably the culprits
annie

Postby annie » 15 May 2015, 14:52

Hatching has begun!!!!Today, Gladys was near the nest with 2 new cygnets on the water and & Grumps was sitting on the remaining eggs.

Caught up with the Canada geese & they have 4 goslings

This little chap is on the escape committee!!

Watch this space, I shall see what happens over the weekend
annie

Postby Rosalind » 15 May 2015, 14:54

Great photos Annie tha22222 .
Rosalind

Postby annie » 16 May 2015, 15:09

I was upset this afternoon, to find there was still only 2 cygnets. Don't know what happened to the other 5 eggs, whether they didn't hatch or another animal got to them, but both proud mum & dad were on the water, despite the wild wind & all came over to be fed

annie

Postby wendy » 16 May 2015, 15:19

oh dear, only 2, I hope the others will turn up
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby maureenho » 16 May 2015, 17:41

That is upsetting, 5 is a lot to go missing
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby annie » 03 Jun 2015, 09:05

Still only 2 cygnets, but they are thriving. here they are hitching a ride on mum's back - cute - aren't they?

The Finsley gate pair have still not produced any cygnets & it is over 45 days now, so suspect something has done badly wrong & we will not see any young.. The pen is still stoically sitting on the nest, it is heartbreaking.

Sadly, the crows have picked off all the new ducklings & none have survived so far & the and the pair of Canada Geese have lost 2 more goslings
annie

Postby annie » 03 Jun 2015, 09:23

There is good news, however, last week we walked all the way to Hapton & new life is abundant down there, we saw 3 big broods of ducklings, 3 lots of Canada goslings - & a pair of swans with 5 cygnets, so that made our day

However, I will not be able to keep an eye on these regularly, as it is a good 2 hour walk

Look at the size of this brood - fantastic!!!

Mum with 5 cygnets

The Hapton pair
annie

Postby Rosalind » 03 Jun 2015, 09:43

Great photos Annie, lovely to see how they are getting on tha22222 .
Rosalind

Postby maureenho » 03 Jun 2015, 10:25

They are beautiful creatures.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » 03 Jun 2015, 12:49

thank you for taking the time to get these lovely photos for us.
I really appreciate it.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby annie » 05 Jun 2015, 19:50

Found these 3 youngsters on the canal bank today

annie

Postby annie » 05 Jun 2015, 19:54

Grumps doing his" aren't I handsome act?" & little one following suit

annie

Postby maureenho » 05 Jun 2015, 21:20

Really good photos Annie, it's lovely to read how they are doing tha22222
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » 05 Jun 2015, 21:25

it makes my day, and the photos are lovely
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 06 Jun 2015, 16:11

I took another peek at these, as I find them so lovely
thank you
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby annie » 13 Jul 2015, 15:39

Our little family is 9 weeks old now and growing up fast

Gladys, keeping a protective eye on me!

Grumps and son!

Hey, wait for me!
annie

Postby Rosalind » 13 Jul 2015, 16:02

Great photos Annie, lovely to see how they are getting on, tha22222 .
Rosalind

Postby maureenho » 13 Jul 2015, 17:07

They grow so fast, lovely to see their progress tha22222
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » 13 Jul 2015, 18:32

I love to see them
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby annie » 14 Sep 2015, 15:50

I have some very sad news. Our swan family disappeared Bank Holiday Weekend, then we heard some swans had been shot about 2 miles down the canal. I had a walk down there and was horrified to see 2 dead cygnets in the water, around same age as ours. I cried all the way home!!
I spoke to a lady who lived on a barge down there & she said the adults disappeared after the cygnets were found dead. She rang the RSPCA who refused to come out. I made several trips up & down & to no avail over the last week & then yesterday, I did my usual walk & there were Grumps and Gladys, sat on the towpath, as large as life , whew, what a relief.

These are the last photos I took

annie

PreviousNext

Return to Anything About You and your Pictures