What do you remember from school?

This is a Public Board

Moderator: Global Moderator

What do you remember from school?

Postby annie » 10 Sep 2015, 07:38

What do you remember?

‘I before e except after c’, photosynthesis and how to use a Bunsen burner in the top 5.

The top 30 things we are most likely to remember from school have been revealed – including ‘i before e except after c’, photosynthesis and how to use a Bunsen burner.

Other lingering nuggets of knowledge retained by our brains from our classroom days are Pi = 3.142, The Lord’s Prayer and “30 days has September”.

On a lighter note the study by Ripley’s Believe It or Not! London showed the majority of us can still recall singing hymns the morning assembly, playing the recorder and studying Shakespeare plays in class.

The study also found a percentage remember playing the triangle, working out the value of ‘x’ and E=MC2.

A spokeswoman for Ripley’s Believe it or Not! London, said: “While you’re at school, you might feel like your mind is being filled up with lots of uninteresting or useless information.

“The outcome of this survey has proved that it’s very much the opposite and your mind is able to retain little nuggets of information that will help you in one way or another later in life.

“And now many parents will be able to pass over any little pieces of information to their own children.

At Ripley’s London we are filled with bizarre yet educational facts ranging from how ancient tribes used to shrink heads in the Amazon to being able to sample how cold the water was when the Titanic sank in the North Atlantic Ocean.”

The poem about the order of Henry VIII’s six wives is well-remembered by many, as is Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain (how to remember the colours of the rainbow).

Physical education has made a big impact on our lives too, as many are still practicing or advising on the technique of both forward and backward rolls.

While several Brits have the baton from running a relay race ingrained into their memories from their school days.

Three in ten UK adults are using the “Never Eat Shredded Wheat” trick to remember their direction of travel

Prime numbers, Pythagoras Theorem and doing the nine times table on your hands are all still remembered today.

While many still remember not to walk through the school field during javelin lessons are taking place there.

The research found that many parents use the little nuggets of information from their school years to help their own children.

E=MC2 is the most commonly use piece of information between parent and child, followed by The Lord’s Prayer.

And it’s not just parents who pass the information on, many adults will remind friends and other family members of the tricks learned at school, and one in five will fill the room with nostalgia in the process.

But a further 18 per cent admitted the response they’ve received from friends in this situation was laughter.

But more than two thirds of Brits admit this information they use or pass down were all seen as ‘pointless’ when they themselves were in education.

TOP 30 MOST REMEMBERED NUGGETS FROM SCHOOL
I before e except after c
Bunsen Burners
Joined up handwriting
The Lord’s Prayer
Hymns in assembly
The calendar poem (30 days has September)
Pi = 3.142
Playing the recorder
Working out the value of ‘x’
Forward rolls
Running a relay with a baton on sports day
Never Eat Shredded Wheat
E = MC2
Prime numbers
Photosynthesis
Studying Shakespeare plays in class
Pythagoras Theorem
Having to stand behind your chair before being allowed to sit
A ton of feathers weighs the same as a ton of watermelons
Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain
The Henry VIII six wives poem
Playing the triangle
Backward rolls
Ancient Egyptians used to pull brains through the nose when preparing a mummy
How to climb a rope
Symbols of the periodic table
Osmosis
Doing the nine times table with your hands
Oxygen will re-light a glowing splint
Never walk across the field during javelin practise.

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/sponsored ... cab7edd#!/
annie

Re: What do you remember from school?

Postby JaneJ » 10 Sep 2015, 16:45

Ah back in the day. Takes me back.
Having to put your chair on the table at the end of the day. Having a peg for your coat and pe bag. Asking for the skin off the custard! Happy days x
JaneJ

Postby wendy » 10 Sep 2015, 17:30

I can remember having to take a slice of bread to school to slop up the gravy because there wasnt enough food, this was in the infants.
I remember the heavy satchels full of books for homework in the senior school.
I also remember we had no lessons about work or what profession we could aim for.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby chenrezig » 10 Sep 2015, 19:10

Crumbs, yes .. those stachels ... however did I manage to carry all those books without ending up like Quasimodo.. ?

I used to help out in the school library and me and the art teacher used to have debates about who was the best Dr Who Pat Troughton (her), or Jon Pertwee (me) lol I also used to help out the dinner ladies

Then there was the sixth form and Mr Snow our English teacher who used to read a chapter from a book each week -then we had to get the book out if we wanted to find out how it ended.

Mr Rathbone, known as "Basil" for obvious reasons, built a train set against and on one fo the benches in the science lab we had as a form room -he also used to rent out real films and showe them in the classroom for anyone who wanted to watch them - they included Marx brothers films, and sci-fi films.

Our biology teacher who once found a coypu by the side of the road and thought it would make a good lesson -it did for him, it took him over 6 weeks to get rid of the fleas !!!
chenrezig

Postby Rosalind » 10 Sep 2015, 20:25

I remember having my little bottle of milk during morning break and my cookery basket with its colourful cover, the basket use to be my grandma's.
Rosalind

Postby wendy » 11 Sep 2015, 07:14

please continue with this,
I am loving it
I remember having to stand on the bus for grown ups if they did not have a seat, today the children are told not to stand because of health and safety.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaneJ » 21 Sep 2015, 06:49

I always wanted a cover for my basket. It was always so heavy to take to school too. I always remember the smell of the school after it was cleaned at night and the smell of the gym.
JaneJ

Postby annie » 21 Sep 2015, 07:34

School milk in little glass bottles & getting in trouble because I refused to drink it.
My awful brown gymslip & brown fleecy knickers with elastic in the legs
annie

Postby JaneJ » 21 Sep 2015, 07:35

I loved school milk. When I was at school in wocester it was little bottles in Scotland it was triangular cartons. Always had my hand up to be monitor!!!! Lol
JaneJ

Return to TV, Pets, Books,Films,Radio,Knitting and Hobbies