[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Carers Chill4us | Carers message board • View topic - Ask Auntie Liz ........................................

Ask Auntie Liz ........................................

This is a Public board

Moderator: Global Moderator

Re: Ask Auntie Liz ........................................

Postby JaneJ » 07 Jun 2015, 15:29

How long can a cat purr for? You would think they would get a sore throat!
JaneJ

Postby chenrezig » 08 Jun 2015, 18:04

You have me foxed on that one .. I can only assume that as they breathe out they can purr, so in theory forever unless their throat does get sore .. But they purr for several reasons ...

http://pets.webmd.com/why-do-cats-purr

Why Do Cats Purr?

Purring is the most common sound cats make. Yet we know less about it than meowing, chirping, chattering, hissing, and growling. Yes, cats purr when they're content. When yours is curled up in the sun, you may hear a gentle rumble as he breathes in and out. Touch him, and you feel a little quiver. It's almost as if he's sending out waves of calm.
But you shouldn't assume that sound means your cat is in a good mood. Or that it's the only time you'll hear it. Cats purr to communicate other emotions and needs, too.

What if you pick your cat up and hold him? Does he purr because he likes it -- or because he's nervous? Although you'll never know exactly what yours is saying when he purrs, research from animal experts, along with considering the situation, lets you make an informed guess.

She's Happy
-Your cat looks relaxed: Perhaps she's on her back, eyes half-closed, tail mostly still. If she's purring, it's safe to assume she's in her happy place. That noise is a big smile.

He's Hungry or Wants Something
- Some cats purr when it's mealtime. British researchers studied the sounds that house cats make when they're hungry and when food isn't on their minds. The purrs don't sound the same. When cats purr for food, they combine their normal purr with an unpleasant cry or mew, a bit like a human baby's cry. Experts believe that we're more likely to respond to this sound. They've found that people can tell the difference between the purrs, even if they aren't cat owners.

Kitten-Mother Connection
- Kittens can purr when they're only a few days old. It's probably a way to let their mothers know where they are or that they're OK. Purring also helps a kitten bond with its mother. Mama cats use it like a lullaby.

Relief and Healing
- Even though purring takes energy, many cats purr when they get hurt or are in pain. So what makes the effort worth it?
It might simply be a way for a cat to soothe itself, like a child sucks their thumb to feel better. But some research suggests that purring actually helps cats get better faster. The low frequency of purrs causes a series of related vibrations within their body that can:
Heal bones and wounds
Build muscle and repair tendons
Ease breathing
Lessen pain and swelling
This might explain why cats are able to survive falls from high places and tend to have fewer complications after surgeries than dogs.

chenrezig

Postby chenrezig » 08 Jun 2015, 18:13

Who's next to Ask Auntie Liz ???
chenrezig

Postby JaneJ » 08 Jun 2015, 18:25

Thank you Liz.

That was really interesting.

That sound is so relaxing. Teddy has such a loud purr. He uses it in the early hours of the morning together with a paw tapping on my face so I wake up to rub his cheeks ans stroke him. After a coup,e of minutes doing it he settles down again usually as close as he can get to me and goes back to sleep.

He is a cutie

look forward to the next question

xxx
JaneJ

Postby wendy » 25 Jun 2015, 18:21

Please can you let me know when the last cuckoo leaves Britain.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby chenrezig » 25 Jun 2015, 20:08

I found this on the RSPB website ..it says that cuckoos emigrate in July, and the youngsters leave about a month later ..

http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoy ... ckoos.aspx
chenrezig

Postby wendy » 25 Jun 2015, 20:59

Thank you
Have you ever seen a cuckoo?
I did once in the 70's
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 01 Jul 2015, 16:11

Do you know how a fox kills any fleas it may have on its body?
I do and it is most interesting.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby chenrezig » 01 Jul 2015, 16:22

I know .. I know Auntie Wendy! (Liz puts hand up like she did at school lol lol)

Something about getting hold of a piece of sheeps wool or something similar and ducking under the water so all the little fleas climb onto that and it gets rid of them that way ?
chenrezig

Postby wendy » 01 Jul 2015, 16:24

that is brilliant Liz
no it pulls out a piece of fur, and all the fleas jump on this dry piece of fur to save from drowning and then when all the fleas are there, the fox lets the fur fall into the water.
Isn't that clever.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 01 Jul 2015, 20:01

It holds the fur in its mouth untill all the fleas are on it and then let's it go
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 03 Aug 2015, 08:07

I have a small plant which has yellow flowers on it in my pond.
It seems to have died.
Is this right?
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby chenrezig » 03 Aug 2015, 17:47

Do you know the name of it? I only keep houseplants ..if a can remember to water them lol !
chenrezig

Postby wendy » 03 Aug 2015, 17:50

No sorry a lady from street life gave it to me

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Daily discussion forum