Photo exhibition on Family Carers lives in Norfolk

This is a Public board

Moderator: Global Moderator

Photo exhibition on Family Carers lives in Norfolk

Postby chenrezig » 07 Jun 2017, 05:31

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/pho ... -1-5051208

Photograph exhibition to reveal the hidden lives of Norfolk’s unpaid carers

Poignant photos will be revealing the hidden lives of unpaid carers in Norfolk at a free exhibition. The 15 images were taken by 23-year-old Norwich photographer and unpaid carer Hannah Hutchins and show a variety of people who look after loved ones and friends.

They are on show at the Forum on Tuesday, June 13, from 9am-5pm as part of this Carers Week.

Organised by the Norfolk Carers organisation, it aims to raise the profile of unpaid carers across the county and highlight some of the available support.

She said: “It is important to highlight and celebrate people who do help their loved ones. You don’t know what is going on in people’s lives.

“So many people have to give up their lives to care for others and are never given any praise for it.”

The care of her grandparents is shared between her relatives as well as some paid for support and the 23-year-old added it was a role she wanted to do.

“It was quite therapeutic doing the photos. I have taken pictures of people from all walks of life caring for people in different situations. It was quite amazing seeing so much good work. I’m quite excited about showcasing my photos which are all about relationships,” Miss Hutchins said.

Jo Phillips, communications and engagement officer from Norfolk Carers, said: “A lot of people don’t identify themselves as carers so they don’t realise what support is out there. We are trying to reach out to people. We want to help people before they reach crisis point.”

The charity knows of just under 100,000 unpaid carers in Norfolk - nearly one in nine of the county’s population.

Mrs Phillips added that unpaid carers suffered emotional and health problems.

Counsellor Chloe Swinton will be giving a talk at the Forum alongside the exhibition from noon-1pm on how people cope with ambiguous loss which is when people’s personalities are affected by conditions including dementia.

For advice call the Norfolk Carers advice line on 0800 9876 from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday or 10am-2pm on Saturdays.
chenrezig

Re: Photo exhibition on Family Carers lives in Norfolk

Postby wendy » 12 Jun 2017, 10:47

great idea, reminds me of the photo competitions we have had such fun with in Chill over the years. li899
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Carer to Carer, help and advice