Sir Cliff Richard sex abuse inquiry: No charges for singer

This is a Public board

Moderator: Global Moderator

Sir Cliff Richard sex abuse inquiry: No charges for singer

Postby wendy » 16 Jun 2016, 17:21

Singer Sir Cliff Richard will face no further action over allegations of historical sex abuse, prosecutors say.

The Crown Prosecution Service said it had decided there was "insufficient evidence to prosecute".

Sir Cliff said he was "obviously thrilled that the vile accusations and the resulting investigation have finally been brought to a close".

But he said his naming by the media, despite not being charged, meant he had been "hung out like live bait".

Four men claimed offences took place between 1958 and 1983, the CPS said.

It is understood that one of the complainants intends to use the Victims' Right to Review Scheme to appeal against the decision not to bring charges.
'Spurious claims'

In a statement, Sir Cliff said: "I have always maintained my innocence, cooperated fully with the investigation, and cannot understand why it has taken so long to get to this point."

He criticised the "high-profile fumbling of my case from day one".

"Other than in exceptional cases, people who are facing allegations should never be named publicly until charged," he said.

"I was named before I was even interviewed and for me that was like being hung out like 'live bait'.

"It is obvious that such strategies simply increase the risk of attracting spurious claims which not only tie up police resources and waste public funds, but they forever tarnish the reputations of innocent people."
Filmed raid

He added: "Ever since the highly-publicised and BBC-filmed raid on my home I have chosen not to speak publicly.

"Even though I was under pressure to 'speak out', other than to state my innocence, which was easy for me to do as I have never molested anyone in my life, I chose to remain silent."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36546038

Wonderful news.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sir Cliff Richard sex abuse inquiry: No charges for sing

Postby annie » 17 Jun 2016, 08:43

Brilliant, all that money wasted, not to mention the torment for Cliff
annie

Re: Sir Cliff Richard sex abuse inquiry: No charges for sing

Postby Rosalind » 17 Jun 2016, 15:27

Terrible way to treat someone and all that money spent.
Rosalind

Return to Carer to Carer, help and advice