When the carer has to have a stay in hospital!

This is a Public board

Moderator: Global Moderator

When the carer has to have a stay in hospital!

Postby wendy » 12 May 2016, 11:30

For several months we have been supporting a carer who cares for his wife who has severe dementia. He cares for her at home.
He is waiting to have a surgical operation with a stay in hospital.
I spoke with him today because the hospital date is getting very close, but he told me there seems to be no continuity amongst the various staff who are involved with finding somewhere for his wife to stay whilst he is in hospital.
The care home he was hoping for his wife to stay in he has now been told is too expensive and SS will not pay.
He was told by yet another social worker (he has had 5 dealing with this up to now,) that they will get back to him.
So it appears that he has no control in the decisions and time is moving on.
I wanted to highlight the awful problem of what can happen when the carer becomes ill.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Re: When the carer has to have a stay in hospital!

Postby mscarer » 12 May 2016, 15:54

I'm about to go in for an op following a cancer diagnosis two weeks ago and after a stressfull two weeks trying to get social care to come up with a place for hubby we finally got told they had a place and he will go in tomorrow however although it is the same home that he went to 2 years ago the 'top up' charges to the home have increased 9 times seemingly because of the size of the room? Last time he had a small room with a small ensuite. This time the only room that seems to be available is a large one (yet to see how large) for which the weekly charge is double what the 2014 charge was - I'm guessing partly something to do with the impacts of the living wage? The councils contribition seems to have increased by about 30% but we have yet to hear if we will still have to pay his assessed charge to the council. At least while he is in residential care they disregard half of his income. We have again brought in the benevolent association charity that we went to before for assistance and they say it is wrong that we seem to be being charged more because of the larger room which wasnt our choice and the council should be picking up this excess. It's already too stressful to get involved in this battle yet but maybe when i've recovered we'll have a go and get some monet back from council
mscarer

Postby wendy » 22 May 2016, 09:14

I thought I should let you know the latest news.
Social services have arranged for his wife to go into the newest care home in Norwich at Bowthorpe.
He has been to see the home and is very pleased with it and now the worry of what will happen to his wife has been taken from him.
She will stay for a few days whilst he is in hospital and who knows she may go back at a later date for respite. Something he has never had up to now.
Well done to SS.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 22 May 2016, 09:15

I hope you are OK Lesley and everything is going well for your husband.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wendy » 16 Jul 2016, 10:13

Things have not worked out and the husband is having to make an official complaint about the care his wife received in the home.
He now is struggling to care for his wife back home, with the support of services from Norfolk Social Services.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby annie » 17 Jul 2016, 11:11

Oh dear , I will also have to deal with all that when I eventually have my hand surgery, that is why I am putting it off as long as possible. When I see the surgeon next month I will ask for another steroid injection, to put me on a little longer
annie

Return to Carer to Carer, help and advice