The reality of being a Croydon carer

This is a Public board

Moderator: Global Moderator

The reality of being a Croydon carer

Postby annie » 05 Apr 2016, 16:54

While many carers’ support services are being cut or closed down, they are needed more than ever, says Loren Dixon
As I failed to find this word in my miniature dictionary, I searched online and found the definition as of a carer as: ‘a family member or paid helper who regularly looks after a child or sick, elderly, or disabled person’. My online dictionary added that ‘elderly people and their carers need long-term support’, which I found refreshing and very true.

After outliving both parents in adulthood and observing responses and reactions under those circumstances, it was apparent to me that the state of being a carer and caring presents itself in varying degrees. Taking care of someone requires perseverance, strength and patience with added good humour. Not everyone has the capacity to do it. The tasks vary according to the causes of caring responsibilities: physical disability, mental health issues, learning difficulties and so on. I have observed sometimes that the hardest disabilities are the ones that you cannot see, and they are usually harder to explain to others.

It is very easy to not acknowledge yourself as being a carer, especially when those that you care for are loved ones. Within a family it is expected and ingrained behaviour to care for each other. It is only when finding support elsewhere that your role is clearly labelled. So it never surprises me when I meet someone who says that they are looking after their mum or dad or partner and yet do not define themselves as a carer and miss out on the support and opportunities to which they are entitled.
MORE:
#
http://thecroydoncitizen.com/politics-s ... don-carer/
annie

Return to Carer to Carer, help and advice