Markets

This is a Public board

Moderator: Global Moderator

Markets

Postby wendy » 26 Nov 2013, 09:49

Do you use your local market, or do you think they have had their day.

I get my meat and veg from our local market and the staff feel like family.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Markets

Postby Misspears » 26 Nov 2013, 10:55

We don't have a local market Wendy

Ann x
Misspears

Postby annie » 26 Nov 2013, 12:41

Our open market closed a few weeks ago, mainly because the rents are so expensive, many of the stall holders packed in as it wasn't worth their while.
annie

Postby wendy » 26 Nov 2013, 12:42

sorry to read that Ann and Annie.
I thought this was a growing problem and it is why I suggested we discuss the matter.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby maureenho » 26 Nov 2013, 12:49

I don't go into the city very often to use the Market, we have a small one on a Friday in the next town but there is hardly any stalls there, it use to be better but when people retire there is not always a replacement and when there is it sells different goods.
A lot of small shops are gradually closing as well.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby annie » 26 Nov 2013, 12:55

We have 3 markets within a 20 mile radius - Clitheroe, Skipton and Bury and their 3 markets are always packed with people and thriving, with fresh fish, meat and fruit and veg, so what is their secret I wonder? I would much prefer to shop locally.  We do have a market hall, but many of the stalls there now are Asians selling the same cheap clothing and fancy goods, & many of the units  now closed.
annie

Postby daisy » 26 Nov 2013, 13:39

go90  We live in a small town and do not have markets.  One of the reasons I have always loved spending holidays in cities was that finding markets was a lovely change - I just loved browsing and always found things to buy.  Of course, being on holiday, I was not shopping for food. 
daisy

Postby Jeanne » 26 Nov 2013, 13:47

We do have two markets near us. Brixton Market, which sells mainly fruit and veg and clothes. A lot of the stalls have closed down, due to the increased rents. Even the indoor market, which used to have some unusual things has been taken over by wine bars and restaurants. It seems to be popular with the many young people who are moving into the area, due to a great deal of new apartments being built.
East Lane Market is better, their cheap day is a Tuesday. I havn't been able to walk down there for a long time, but hope to go on the mobility scooter, if I can find a time when it isn't too busy and inconvenient for other shoppers. You can get some good bargains, fruit seems to be very cheap and birthday cards etc., x Jeanne
Jeanne

Postby chenrezig » 26 Nov 2013, 17:01

I did pop onto the market today to Reggie's for a roll n mug of tea. After that bit on the news I did notice how several stalls are vacant at the moment.

The stalls I visit most -Reggie's, Lucy's Chips, the Wool stall ( and the haberdashery opposite), the vacuum cleaner spares stall, the hardware at the very front, very occasionally the flowers stalls and the Debs fruit n veg.

I did notice a camera crew filming there today so may be on Look East tonight ?
chenrezig

Postby JaneJ » 26 Nov 2013, 17:06

We have a market that is open 3 days aweek.

I must admit it isn't often I buy off it. Not sure why I don't in retrospect.
JaneJ

Postby mumxtwo » 27 Nov 2013, 09:39

It is  market day on Friday in Beccles which has kept going somehow although it isn't so big now. It is held in the centre of town so makes driving through difficult. The market is well supported, I sometimes use the fruit and veg stall but tend to avoid the town centre on a Friday because it is so busy. It's a vicious circle. Thursday is market day in Bungay but it's very small now. Wednesday and Saturday are market days in Gt. Yarmouth and both are extremely popular. The local villages have a bus to Gt. Yarmouth on those days, have done for years. It was a sad day when the Friday bus to Beccles stopped.
mumxtwo

Postby coffee » 27 Nov 2013, 10:21

hi we have a market  - 3 to 4 times a week but its not as packed as it used to be . I used to love going to the market , but its getting expensive to go to town and carrying the bags on the bus as I don't drive can be a struggle I have  took a  shopping trolley in the past and it did help so if I go to town that's when I go to the market specially Friday    coffeex
coffee

Return to Carer to Carer, help and advice