I wish

This is a Public Board

Moderator: Global Moderator

I wish

Postby wendy » 27 Mar 2016, 14:29

I was a full time woman police officer in the 1960's based in Nottingham city.
My work consisted mainly working with women and children, and included rapes and child abuse on a regular basis.
Then women did not work nights but sometimes we had to do so after a morning shift when there was a woman in the cells.
So I have spent many a night in the cells after working a full shift in the morning.
I also had to drive across the country to pick up prisoners, so much has changed these days and now they would not do this. I drove or we went by train.
If there was no women's work then it was back to ordinary beat duty or traffic duty.
I was also a schools liason officer getting the youngs ones to know what the police did.
Giving evidence and arresting people was a regular occurance.
Drugs were on the scene and I can remember being on several raids.
I was on duty at a mods and rockers event in Nottingham square which involved thousands of people, as did the weekly football events, when I would be seen doing traffic duty.
I wish I had written a book about my time in the Police but at the time you was so busy that all you wanted to do was enjoy yourself after work. Sometimes going out at 11pm after a shift.
Today I have forgotten most of the experiences.
I wanted to share with you a little about me, before I leave at the end of the week.
Although I would not change the years I spent in the police because I loved working with people, I now wish I had trained to be a midwife. Because you could not then go back to the police after having children, unless you wanted to work full time again.
Is there anything you wish you had done?
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I wish

Postby maureenho » 27 Mar 2016, 15:21

Wendy that was really interesting to read and very kind of you to share part of your life, when you have more time on your hands maybe have a go at writing about your life, it would be an interesting read about life as a Police woman in the 1960's.

One thing I wish I had done was go to Art School, but how my life situation was at the time I couldn't, I signed up for College 1997 to get some qualifications but only a few weeks in I had to give it up to be a full time family carer, I'm only now painting again after a 20 year gap and really enjoying it.
maureenho
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JaneJ » 27 Mar 2016, 20:31

You have lead such an interesting life. It certainly would make a great read. You are an amazing lady xx
JaneJ

Postby pamella » 28 Mar 2016, 21:00

you have done a lot and seen a lot.
So pleased you are enjoying your painting

Pamella
pamella

Return to On this Day, Poems, Games and Chat