New concept for help in dealing with dementia arrives

This is a Public board

Moderator: Global Moderator

New concept for help in dealing with dementia arrives

Postby wendy » 16 Sep 2016, 10:13

“Rolling Back the Years” uses traditional reminiscence content – advertisements and editorial from original national newspapers and magazines from various decades – but in a completely different way.

Presented in different coloured plastic folders, and with over 40 unique volumes currently available covering the 1930’s to the 1980’s, they are designed to not only help people living with dementia but, just as importantly, help people who are doing the caring whether they be professional or not.

The robust and practical format of the product means that carers benefit from an idea that is easily used for very short time spans or for much longer periods. The content is eclectic, relevant and it is easy to pick any provided topic to start a conversation and they are supposed to be left in a very open place wherever they are used – essentially a “pick up and put down” item which isn’t filed on a bookcase, stuck in a cupboard or stacked up with magazines.

Andy Tremlett of Andrew Tremlett Associates, the organisation behind the idea, wanted to bring back some joy when visiting his mother.
He found seeing her depressing and difficult to deal with because the lack of communication was profound or, at best, confusing.
So he needed something to wake her up and become his Mum again.

Andy says “If I had had one of my folders in the car every time I visited her, we would have had meaningful conversations about her past, with the added bonus of finding out about her early years.
A sort of “Who Do You Think You Are ?” TV series moment. On reflection, I think I would have visited her more often which isn’t a bad thing for me, her or indeed the carers who were looking after her”.

He adds, “It is too late now to find more about Mum’s early life and it is something I regret and I think with our volumes, people are able to not only discover a lot about themselves but also help their loved ones through another confusing day”.

The volumes are available at £39.50 each ex Vat with a special 6 box set priced at £175.00 ex Vat. There are 40 pages to each volume with over 150 unique topics to chat about and there is also the flexibility for inserting personalised pages for users. The folders are easily cleaned and come in different coloured see through plastic covers for easy identification regarding the decades covered.

For more information about how the folders can help any commercial operation involved in the care industry, or individuals who need help with respite in general, go to www.rollingbacktheyears.org for an overview.

Andy continues, “There are many organisations who are extremely knowledgeable and dedicated in helping people living with dementia of which Care England is a leading light and I am grateful to Martin Green, its Chief Executive, for the support he has shown.
I’m also grateful for the helpful responses I have received from Jeremy Hunt, Secretary of State for Health, which reflects his passion for helping people living with dementia. It is going to take quite a time before we find a cure for the disease, so I believe that anything we can do to take the fear out of the condition for carers, and also simultaneously change peoples’ attitudes and behaviour towards those living with dementia, makes it a win-win situation for all concerned”.
wendy
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Carer to Carer, help and advice