6th July

This is a Public Board

Moderator: Global Moderator

6th July

Postby chenrezig » 06 Jul 2016, 06:02

1189 The date of accession of Richard I (Richard the Lionheart). In English law the phrase 'time immemorial' means a time before legal history and beyond legal memory. In 1275, by the first Statute of Westminster, the time of memory was limited to the reign of Richard I, beginning on 6th July 1189.

1483 England's King Richard III was crowned. He was the last king of the House of York and the last of the Plantagenet dynasty. His defeat at the Battle of Bosworth Field was the decisive battle of the Wars of the Roses.

1535 Sir Thomas More was beheaded on London's Tower Hill for refusing to accept Henry VIII as head of the church. He lifted his beard from the axe, on the basis that it had committed no offences against the king!

1553 Mary I acceded to the throne, becoming the first queen to rule England in her own right.

1557 King Philip II of Spain, consort of Queen Mary I set out from Dover to war with France, which eventually results in the loss of the City of Calais, the last English possession on the continent, and Mary I never seeing her husband again.

1685 James II defeated the Duke of Monmouth, claimant to the throne, at the Battle of Sedgemoor, Westonzoyland in Somerset. Sedgemoor was the last major battle to be fought on English soil.

1892 Britain's first non-white MP was elected when Dadabhai Naoraji won the Central Finsbury seat.

1907 The opening of Brooklands - the world's first purpose-built motor racing circuit.

1919 The first airship to cross the Atlantic, the British-built R34, arrived in New York.

1924 The first photo was sent experimentally across Atlantic by radio, from the US to England.

1952 After nearly a century of service, trams made their final appearance in London.

1957 Future Beatles John Lennon and Paul McCartney were introduced to each other when Lennon's band, the Quarrymen, performed at the St. Peter's Church Hall fête in Woolton, Merseyside.

1965 The Beatles' film A Hard Day's Night was premiered in London, with royal attendance.

1978 Eleven people died and seventeen were injured in a blaze on the Penzance to Paddington sleeper train.

1978 Three bags of horse manure were hurled from the public gallery in the House of Commons during a debate on Scottish Home Rule. Yana Mintoff, daughter of the Prime Minister of Malta, was later arrested and fined.

1988 An explosion aboard the North Sea oil rig Piper Alpha, off the coast of Aberdeen, resulted in the loss of 167 lives. It is the world's deadliest ever oil rig accident.

2005 The International Olympic Committee announced that the 2012 Olympic Games would be held in London.

2014 Permanent secretary Mark Sedwill, the most senior civil servant in the Home Office was to give evidence to MPs. The department admitted that more than 100 official files relating to allegations of historical child abuse by politicians between 1979 and 1999 were "presumed destroyed, missing or not found". The files were in addition to a dossier alleging historical child abuse involving powerful and famous figures at Westminster in the 1980s that were "also missing."

2014 From 4:30am cash could no longer be used on any of London's 24,500 buses, in a move that Transport for London (TfL) said would save £24m a year. A prepaid or concessionary ticket, Oyster card or a contactless payment card would be needed to travel.
chenrezig

Re: 6th July

Postby annie » 06 Jul 2016, 07:22

than999
annie

Return to On this Day, Poems, Games and Chat